Sunday, November 09, 2008

Spoolsv.exe high CPU

Snip from Tim's Journal


I came into lab to find the printer printing strange ASCII characters, one line per page, and a basically inoperably slow PC. Checking Task Manager, I found the culprit - one spoolsv.exe at 99% cpu which I killed. About 30 seconds later, the cpu was once again clogged by a revived app. Here's the fix. First, get some breathing room - go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services and stop the Print Spooler. Turn off the printer. Now go to C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\PRINTERS and delete the files there. I found '00020.SHD' and '00020.SPL'. Now turn your printer back on and restart the service. Check task manager, spoolsv.exe should be at 00%. Whew!

Semi-update
I'm glad that this post has been of use to you. It drove me crazy too. In my particular case the problems started occuring again after a couple days. This happend because the 'bad' spooler files were coming from another computer on the network. Once that person gave up printing that file, the madness stopped. If you are on your own, chances are it is just a corrupt print file that needs to be cleared out.

No comments: